It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:31 am 
Site Admin

Even though it's already built, and most of you have seen these before, as this is the same write up on the old EVO. We're a little light on projects here, so I'll kick it off with the SX/4 constant project. As noted, yes it's the miss's car that I bought, and fixed up for her to drive. So far, she hasn't driven it, lol.

Anyway, Picked the car up for $500 from south western PA in early spring 2009, saw the add on craiglist, the guy had a fleet of SX/4's, good thing I couldn't fit more than one on the trailer, hahaha. The car hadn't been run since 1994, so 15 years it sat under a pine tree on the guys property, couple of the others were savable cars too, he used one of them to push this one up onto the trailer for me, lol. So the trip out to PA was 8 hours one way, by the time we got out there it was dark, lucky I brought flashlights, we looked at the birds, and I chose the one I did for three reasons. 1) solid floors 2) decent interior. 3) and the most important deciding factor it had the factory paint (well what was left of it), so that meant no half assed body work. After picking upthe car I decided to drive for a while, before resting for the night. In the am, I awoke to see this car on the trailer, I was happy with my find, as was the miss.

I tucked the car away at a buddies house for a couple months while I waited for good weather to work on it, and June 24 I brought it home to further evaluate.

Then, the tear down began....First go, all the plastic, I had to see what was lurking beneith

This dent was the worst thing I found lurking, the car had a little rust in the fronts of the rockers, but nothing to aweful.

I proceeded by gutting the interior, this car had some funk, mice had taken over the car at one point, however, snakes evicted the mice, lol, I was a little nervous reaching up into the dash, seeming I had no clue whether or not they were still in there :o ...At any rate, all I found was lots of mouse shit, and many snake skins, lol.

Floors were decent minus a spot on the drivers side. That was a very simple fix though, little grinding, a little ctting, little welding, and fixed.

Moving on, my original plan involved scrapping the driveline in this car, I had no clue to whether it ran or not, being it sat for as long as it did. One night, I went to my local bar and proceeded to get pretty well happy, lol, when I returned home (no, I was not driving), I had a sort of lquid ambition and curiosity so to speak :roll: . I robbed the battery out of my malbu, grabbed a bit gas, and figured what have I got to lose right? Hooked the battery up, dumped a little fuel down the crusty carters throat, hit the key and it fired, I couldn't believe it. So the next day I picked up a rebuld kit for the carb, fuel filter along with a new fuel pump for safe measures, I rigged up a jerry can for clean supply, and for less than $50 the eagle was running, and running smooth, I was very impressed to say the least.
Now that the car ran, it would be nice if it moved, the PO had told me he thought it needed clutch work, investigating around, I saw th e clutch pedal was just sorta flopping in the breeze. Once I removed it I see the arm that actuates the slave had broken off. My first attempt was to just weld it back on all nice, nice like.

Now before I put it back in I went ahead and replaced the hydro line and the siezed slave cylinder, cheap at napa, but I did have to use the factory pushrod, as the one supplied was too short.

So I put it all back together, first time I stepped on the pedal, the arm snaps off again, :evil: arrrrrggg. So then I made something to my specs, so It cannot break again.

Simple design bolts on to the existing pedal.

After a little trimming, and an extra support braket, I was ready to paint up and install.

Worked wonders 8-) . So I get the clutch line and cylinders all bled, fire up the car, push in the clutch, put er in gear, let off the clutch and........Nothing, wtf. Try another gear, nothing, reverse nada, but I did happen to nitced a noise comming from the driveline, hmmmm, so I glance under the car, the driveshaft was spining, interesting. I hop out, as I get around the rh rear of the car, I see the big axle nut and shaft rotating in the hub.....Ah that's why the po thought it needed clutch work...

Just a little stripped, lol. So for a temp, I just put the sucker back together, got out the impact, and horked it down the best I could, then got out my 4 ft cheater, and gave it a little more, lol. At this point, I had a running, driving eagle on my hands.
Stay tuned, more to come.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

Chapter II Back to work.......
At that point in time I had the eagle fed via gas can, I didn't dare put new gas in the old tank, not knowing what was in there. Rather than writing up a whole post on the gas tank (which ended up needing to be replaced), the write up can be found on the EVO Wiki 8-) .
So with the car running as nicely as it did, I decided to give it a little tune up, went with the larger cap, new plugs, and uh my old plug wires from my Malibu, hahaha.

Along with the old air cleaner top (cut the eagles factory base) and filter from the malibu, I have too much crap laying around, lol.

Bring on the stripper!!
Just kidding I wouldn't torture you all that much, hahaha.

So now it was time to really strip this thing down, everything had to go, all glass, and all the bolt on sheet metal.

just a little side note here, the fenders are tack welded at the wiper cowel.....

gooey crap after removing the back hatch window, I made the gf clean it up, lol. (hey it's her car)

In the last pic you may have noticed the black spray paint all over. Her and I decided that it would be in the cars favor that we eliminate all the plastic clading and flares (keep in mind we were still thinking beater car at this point). I welded all the mounting holes for that stuff closed, and threw some black paint on to prevent rust.

Prime example why stickers are bad...Look closely where the tinted portion is, Oakley is permanently preserved in the winshield, lol, as the rest of the tinted area has faded brown.

Fenders, fenders, fenders!!!! Stripped the bare, and Welded all the holes, ground them down the best I could, and gave a litte filler here n there (mistake! btw! more on that later), then threw a little etch primer at them and then my 2k.

oooooooo shiiiinnnnyyy

Again, above and below are fuck ups.....

They look good, but didn't feel "right".

I had a little rot in the hatch to take care of, again, little grinding, a little cutting, shaping, welding and a little more grinding, problem solved.

Crose enough!! hahaha
and thennnn.......Rodents!
Bastards!!! they filled the hood up with nuts!
I couldn't get them out, so plan B, cut a fricken hole in the under side of the hood.

Not perfect but, better than nuts rattling around in there.

This concludes our broadcast, tune in next time for chapter III.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome back to Chapter III of this redundant build thread, lol.

Ah, the body, where to start, surface rust was very plentiful on the roof, that really was the biggest hurdle. Basically multiple rust treatments, I'd spray the rust converter on, let it do its thing, then I'd buzz it off with the d/a. I did this probably 3 or 4 times, to get a nice surface for my primer to adhear to.

The crap you see dripping down the car is the converter, usually you leave the stuff on, but I chose my own method being I had some good quality etch primer (dpx by ppg expensive shit).

Here we are all cleaned up, ready for the etch, no pictures between the two stages, I was tto busy working on it, lol. Didn't really need much filler to speak of, the body really was pretty straight, mainly just the area tha I had welded up the holes, and a few dings here and there.

Now covered in green death, very nasty stuff, a respirator is not an option, even outside, bad, bad stuff, but works wonders (the nastiest stuff always does).

The nice thing about the etch, once you waitt about 45 minutes or so, it is ready to prime, or topcoat, which ever you choose, no sanding required (if done before the 24 hour window).

Here it is with its first dusting of 2k high build primer, also great stuff to work with.

Now that crap's out of the way, the lower front pportions of the rockers needed a little attention, they weren't rusted through, but the metal was thin. For longevities sake, I got the grinder out and cut a couple holes in them, lol.

drivers side need a little bigger cut than passenger.

Making some patch panels, the passenger sid was pretty stright foward, cut out box, weld in place, grind the welds, little fill, and reprime.

The opposite, required a little more jerking around bendinding and cutting.

so here's my sheet metal bender in action.

Shitty pic but important non the less, you can kinda see where I have welded on the inside of the rocker, where the facrtory foled the rockers, they left gaping hole, big enough for mice to get in, the rockers were also full of nuts. Welded little patches in there, made small drain holes, and heavily coated it with paint.

my hand/vise made patch, for final mock fit.

burned in

ground smooth.

Door time!

I dunno I thought this looked neat.

The doors had those riveted on ding strip moldings (dealer installed type), being we were going for smooth body, I welded up all the hole for them, and ground them smooth, then proceeded to strip the door back down to bare steel.

ooooo shinnnnnney...

Etched (no pic), and 2k'ed, ready for blocking. I like using a 1 1/2 square block of wood about a foot long, wrap the 320 around it and have a nice big bucket of water, works wonders.

Hood recieving the same treatment.

Can't froget the underside.

Car finally came inside for bodywor, blocking, etc.

roof was in good shape, not alot going there, lol.

tossed a little primer to the front end.

Earlier you should recall (if you're paying attention, lol) that I fouled up on the fenders, and I'd explain why later, it's now later. When I spot filled the imperfections where when I welded, even though it looked good, you could "feel" every spot I put the filler. That was un acceptable, the fix, a skim coat around the whole flare section, as shown in this quarter panel pic.

The end result, no evidence of the holes actually being there in the first place.

Oh and got rid of the big dent, lol.
lot's of hammering and reshaping, no pics of the process, kinda got in work mode and neglected to show that.

blocked the body.

Then started throwing the sealer on all my scattered around the garage parts.

Then started painting the black undersides

The black is paint I had previously bought for the 97 cherokee, that I never got around to painting, figured what better spot for it, lol.

That's where this segment ends, if you haven't fallen asleep yet, Chapter IV to come!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:21 pm 
Eagle

Great read. That is what I am looking to be doing this year.

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Doug I'll continue up to currents events later on. Will we see a progress report on yours?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:39 pm 
Eagle

Yup, if warm weather ever gets here. Spent the day sorting tools and installing the ones I really use into a new tool chest.

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:58 pm 
Pacer

damn dude i never realized just how much work you did on that car. i am very impressed. wanna do mine lol.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1003

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:42 pm 
Hornet

damn, i never found a build thread for your sx4. you need to do casper for me!!! i TRIED to fix some rust spots on it, and repaint it. looks worse than whatever it was my dog puked up last week. (wife says it looks good, i get pissed everytime i see it.) i dont have the pacients (sp) to do bodywork. i can lay the paint half decent, but CANT do the body work. im about to dive in and do some chassis rust repairs on casper. i dont even wanna bother with fixing dents/painting honeybadger. lol.

looking outstanding so far! now im pissed that theres no more to read/look at!!! :oops: not a cool way to leave a guy with plenty of beer, back pain, and NOT ready for bed dude, NOT COOL!!

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:31 am 
Site Admin

Thanks guys, this build was originally on the nest but got buried and deleted some time back. Sorry Casper, :lol: there will be more added today as time permits, so get the beer ready, maybe I'll throw my other threads up too :mrgreen: (Jeep revamp, and the red cars mini revamp).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:47 am 
Pacer

If you ever decide to sell PM me. But don't decide for about 1.5 - 2 years lol, getting my finances in order ;)

Love your SX/4, if I could find a buyer for my Eagle I'd fly out to Ontario and grab one, there's a few there that look good.