It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:51 pm 
Rebel

so how r u going to mount the turbo and what ecu do u plan on running or r u going carb?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:36 am 
Metropolitan

max98059 wrote:
so how r u going to mount the turbo and what ecu do u plan on running or r u going carb?

The turbo will be going where the washer and coolant bottles are, they get relocated to the battery side, batter goes in the back. I'll be running Megasquirt II

Here are some pics of the engine build:

Block Pep:

Short Block Assembled:

Oversize valves installed

Test fitting of the head

Closeup of the springs

Port work and a tracing of the intakes, The 01+ sits a little high so I'll be modifying it

Intake flow matched, port matched and pin holes elongated

Mopar Roller Rockers installed

Ported the thermostat housing:

The block is a 4.0 but It's going in an Eagle which presents the unique problem of the axle bracket and a block reinforcement rib

So I ported that too

Making a deep sump oil pan:

The Turbo, Garrett T3/T4 60 trim

BOV and Wastegate

This is not even it's final form:

A bunch more stuff for it is in boxes but I'll post all that as it's going in.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:23 am 
Rogue

Ok, we're on to engines and fun parts, this is my favorite part of a build.

Very nice job, and good call on the megasquirt. I installed an MS-I with the MPI intake on a 258 a few years back, so I will chime in as I can with things I learned along the way. Though much of my lessons are not going to be an issue with the 4.0 setup, as it's already adapted well for the MS conversion with the necessary sensor points. With the MS-II it's going to be nice to fully use the IAC valve, which is something I could not do with MS-I. The extended fuel map is going to be a huge advantage for you as well. I assume you're going to run a wide band O2 sensor? Tuning a fuel map from nothing for a forced induction engine gives me the heebie jeebies.

AND.... is that glyptoil I see in there? Never used the stuff before, but always found it tempting. Would love to hear more of your experience with the stuff. Also very curious about that saddle on the main bearing caps.

Speaking of oil, the custom sump is just cool to see. Going to incorporate a scraper or windage tray in there? With the turbo, have you considered something like the Amsoil bypass oil system? I won't be running a turbo on my build, but I am building for higher RPM's and dirty conditions. So I'm likely going to be using it on my 199.

-Hans

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:37 am 
Metropolitan

Thanks! I've been following your build too, can't wait to see how it comes together.

HHaase wrote:
I assume you're going to run a wide band O2 sensor?

Probably, but I have been working on the body first. Built the engine a while back and then realized there were major structural issues with the car. Once I'm putting the engine in I'll be figuring out sensors and stuff. Also have to contact the guy that built the XJ-R Cherokee. He's running a turbo 4.0 w/ the MS-II setup. Hoping he'll have some good pointers (and maybe a few good fuel curves)

HHaase wrote:
AND.... is that glyptoil I see in there?

Yes, this was/is my first time using it in an engine. Some old timers swear by it, after putting it on I can see why. It's a rock hard coat that seals everything and it's incredibly smooth when dry. Used foam brushes (which eventually dissolve) and "painted" all unmachined surfaces. It took about 2 coats to cover everything evenly. The theory is it seals in any loose sand and metal and prevents dirt from accumulating in the metal pores, it also creates a smooth surface for the oil to flow over.

HHaase wrote:
Going to incorporate a scraper or windage tray in there?
With the turbo, have you considered something like the Amsoil bypass oil system?

Probably adding a windage tray but I may just remake the pan in aluminum and build it in then. The saddle is pretty close to the crank and acts as a pseudo crank scraper. Btw, the saddle is from an 01+ 4.0, they lightened the block and added saddles to stiffen it up. It should fit all 6cyl engines in the 199/232/242/258/262(VAM) family

I have one from something that fits the 4.0 block (think it was a Ford?), It's in a crate with the other engine parts. For break in I'll be using just a regular filter, ZDDP, and some dino oil. After the break in period is done I'll be adding the oil cooler, remote filter and all that jazz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:24 pm 
Rogue

cyclops231 wrote:
Thanks! I've been following your build too, can't wait to see how it comes together.

HHaase wrote:
I assume you're going to run a wide band O2 sensor?

Probably, but I have been working on the body first. Built the engine a while back and then realized there were major structural issues with the car. Once I'm putting the engine in I'll be figuring out sensors and stuff. Also have to contact the guy that built the XJ-R Cherokee. He's running a turbo 4.0 w/ the MS-II setup. Hoping he'll have some good pointers (and maybe a few good fuel curves)

HHaase wrote:
AND.... is that glyptoil I see in there?

Yes, this was/is my first time using it in an engine. Some old timers swear by it, after putting it on I can see why. It's a rock hard coat that seals everything and it's incredibly smooth when dry. Used foam brushes (which eventually dissolve) and "painted" all unmachined surfaces. It took about 2 coats to cover everything evenly. The theory is it seals in any loose sand and metal and prevents dirt from accumulating in the metal pores, it also creates a smooth surface for the oil to flow over.

HHaase wrote:
Going to incorporate a scraper or windage tray in there?
With the turbo, have you considered something like the Amsoil bypass oil system?

Probably adding a windage tray but I may just remake the pan in aluminum and build it in then. The saddle is pretty close to the crank and acts as a pseudo crank scraper. Btw, the saddle is from an 01+ 4.0, they lightened the block and added saddles to stiffen it up. It should fit all 6cyl engines in the 199/232/242/258/262(VAM) family

I have one from something that fits the 4.0 block (think it was a Ford?), It's in a crate with the other engine parts. For break in I'll be using just a regular filter, ZDDP, and some dino oil. After the break in period is done I'll be adding the oil cooler, remote filter and all that jazz

From experience, use the wide band sensor if you can work it in there. Fuel mapping is so much more critical under boost, and you just can't do it accurately with a narrow band. A narrow band sensor essentially only tells you if you're rich or lean in relation to stochimetric, but it gives you nothing other than that. You could be slightly lean, you could be running almost pure air, readings would be the same. With a wide band, you'll get much more info about your actual AFR back from the sensor.
Pricier, but worth it.

-Hans

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:00 pm 
Eagle

is the 4.0 block form a renix era jeep? the engine looks good, your doing a great job! :cheers:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:47 pm 
Metropolitan

1985amceagle wrote:
is the 4.0 block form a renix era jeep? the engine looks good, your doing a great job! :cheers:

The block and head are Renix era.

Progress!

Modified subframe

Clean the mounting areas

Then went on to clean all of the under body

Started on the new 4-link upper bracket

4-link mach up,

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

Lookin good, are you going to have to run a panhard bar with that? I see the lower being triangulated but not the Upper? or is that just the picture throwing an illusion.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:12 am 
Eagle

WOW!

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:43 am 
Javelin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next