It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:17 am 
Javelin

HHaase wrote:
That "Jeep T5 WC" that 5speeds offered looks nice, but the ratios aren't what I want, more focused on rock crawling than high speed driving.

-Hans

Yeah, I realize that, I figured they might be able to help you in your quest. Ever thought about an AW4 and using one of the manual shifters?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:20 pm 
Rogue

Eaglefreek wrote:
HHaase wrote:
That "Jeep T5 WC" that 5speeds offered looks nice, but the ratios aren't what I want, more focused on rock crawling than high speed driving.

-Hans

Yeah, I realize that, I figured they might be able to help you in your quest. Ever thought about an AW4 and using one of the manual shifters?

Actually, I've been toying with the idea of a 727 or 904, as IIRC they can drop right in. Figured the T5 would be an easier solution though, and the older slushboxes do soak up a lot of power. Then I've also got to worry about another cooler, cooling lines and all that jazz.

-Hans

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:14 pm 
Javelin

HHaase wrote:
Eaglefreek wrote:
HHaase wrote:

-Hans

Actually, I've been toying with the idea of a 727 or 904, as IIRC they can drop right in. Figured the T5 would be an easier solution though, and the older slushboxes do soak up a lot of power. Then I've also got to worry about another cooler, cooling lines and all that jazz.

-Hans

Out of those 2, I would definitely choose the TF999(904), or I would have a TF998 rebuilt to TF999 specs with a Transgo Shift Kit. The 727 sucks too much power and has too high of a first gear in my opinion. With the shift kit in my 998, shifts were fast and crisp.

i just thought of something. Try calling Rockland Standard Gear. There was a guy I talked to about the 229 viscous coupling and turned out he was an AMC guy and wanted to build a Hornet with an Eagle drivetrain. If anybody would have a solution, it would be them. I can't remember his name though. You might have to ask about the guy who knows about the viscous couplers for the New Process cases to find him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:24 pm 
Hornet

i wonder if you can take a z code t5 from a mustang gt and put on the 4x4 tail housing? that would give you pretty good gearing.

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:17 pm 
Rogue

casper wrote:
i wonder if you can take a z code t5 from a mustang gt and put on the 4x4 tail housing? that would give you pretty good gearing.

I don't believe there's any reasonable way to do that. The 4wd output shaft as far as I know won't fit into the WC housing. But the NWC T5's made for mustang and camaro V-8's did have a much higher torque rating than the 4wd and 4/6cyl versions. Not something I'd use if I was building up a 401 or 390, but behind a built 199 it would be perfect for this project.

Good news though is apparently I'll have a crankshaft from a 199 on the way this week.

-Hans

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:45 am 
Rogue

Good news! I may start having some budget creep back into the project finally, I'll be back to work in a week or so after nearly a year of unemployment. I need to be careful, as the pay isn't quite as much as I'd like, but it's a job and it's a paycheck. I also FINALLY had the 199 crankshaft arrive yesterday, which I've been waiting on for a long time.

This is the kind of motivation I needed to get me back at it.

-Hans

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:50 am 
Eagle

sounds like great news!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:55 pm 
Rogue

yeah yeah yeah, been sitting on the project for months, but man is the itch building.

Again, hoping to be back at it soon. Once again on the hunt for a cheap T-5 to replace the existing SR-4, and on the hunt for the correct info on putting the V8 NWC gearset into it. I know it can be done, Jeep did make them in very small numbers, but I don't know how.

-Hans

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:55 am 
Eagle

Finding a T5 is hard. Finding a cheap one is even harder. I hope you can get lucky!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:23 am 
Javelin

If the information you found about the Jeep diesel T5 is accurate, there is a good chance that it is not a transmission that would be compatible with an AMC engine, since the diesel engine would have been a non AMC engine. The little bit of research I did shows a T176 behind the diesel in the CJ7.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next