It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:53 pm 
Rogue

Eaglefreek wrote:
If the information you found about the Jeep diesel T5 is accurate, there is a good chance that it is not a transmission that would be compatible with an AMC engine, since the diesel engine would have been a non AMC engine. The little bit of research I did shows a T176 behind the diesel in the CJ7.

Looks like it was either a 2.2 Isuzu or a 2.1 Renault diesel that the transmission was used with, and it's a very rare beast, possibly only prototype built. More I'm just looking to see if it's even possible to get the 2.95 gearset into a jeep/AMC compatible box.

-Hans

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:17 am 
Eagle

Asfar as I know, the Renault diesel was used in the xj and mj. I have never seen one in person, and I am not sure what trans was used.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:45 am 
Rogue

Well, I really need to move on from the transmission question for a while I think, it's just sucking up too much research time. I'm going to have to just make one decision and stick with it. I may just have to live with the SR4 until it dies, and when the time comes deal with a performance T5 shop and bite the bullet to get one built up. It's not really in the budget right now, but we'll see how long I can string the SR4 along

-Hans

Edit: Ok, I just can't let this idea go, it's too hooked into me, so I've been doing more research down to individual parts internally.

Input shaft won't be an issue at all, both Jeep I6 and Ford V8 input shafts are 10 spline, with the Ford piece being 1-1/16" as opposed to Jeep being 1-1/8". So either way I can get the input shaft I want just needing to change the clutch disk. I'm told the clutch I need to use is fairly common. So this gets me bolted to the engine. With the Ford input shaft, this lines up all the gears on the input shaft and the cluster gear pretty simple at that point.... just keep using the Ford parts. The output shaft only determines the reverse gear, in conjunction with the reverse slider gear and reverse idler gear. So swapping the Jeep output shaft and tail housing onto a Ford NWC box should be pretty straight forward.

So I really am starting to think this won't be so hard. Grab a NWC Ford V8 box, then I'll need the Jeep adapter housing, output shaft, and associated reverse gears. Either that, or I can start with a Jeep box and swap in the Ford input shaft and cluster gear. The trick will be finding those Ford parts, only used in '83 and '84 I believe.

-Hans

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:53 am 
Rogue

Hmmmm part number 1352-671-103.....
..... This is listed in the Tremec catalogs as a World Class output shafts for 23 spline Jeeps!

This is a complete game changer if it works. It means it may open up Eagles to the world of WC T5's.

-Hans

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:13 am 
Pacer

HHaase wrote:
Hmmmm part number 1352-671-103.....
..... This is listed in the Tremec catalogs as a World Class output shafts for 23 spline Jeeps!

This is a complete game changer if it works. It means it may open up Eagles to the world of WC T5's.

-Hans

May be the correct shaft but my research says for NWC.. WC is going to be a different tail housing on it because Jeeps are not WC so have to use a Chevy or Ford tail.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:58 pm 
Rogue

I am trying to contact a guy that apparently has done this exact build for a completely different vehicle, but with the same transmission and transfer case. From the info I've seen from him the Jeep adapter housing bolts right up to the WC casing. The output shaft itself is actually listed as Jeep/Panther in the parts listing, and apparently was made to put into a car called the Panther Solo, which was a late 80's AWD limited run thing. Looking at T5 application charts that particular gearbox comes up as a WC box, with the gear ratios I'm looking for, so things really click into place on this. I've also found a couple potential part sources for the shaft as well.

Hmmmmmmmm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:05 pm 
Pacer

If it works great. Thought would be great for me too. Only issue I'd have is shifter location. I have the center console I want to keep. For your purpose sounds awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:21 pm 
Javelin

Its been done many times before. There was guy here in PA that used to sell reman-T5s, both Non World Class and for a little more also World Class T5 transmissions on ebay for around $800 NWC and $1000 WC. There was also a link I printed out years ago about it that detailed exactly what to do to bring your Jeep T5 up to "World Class" specs. There was one tiny detail that couldn't be done without changing the front casting, and the guy in PA doing them was probably omitting that detail. The auction described exactly what had been changed.

The shifter will be in the same location on a World Class 4WD transmission because the shift handle is part of the 4WD rear casting. Only 2WD Mustang T5s and AMC Spirit T5s would have a different dimension from each other and from a 4WD T5. Actually all the Jeep manual transmissions have the shifter the same distance from the split between the engine and transmission, even if they are about 3" longer than a T5. You can use your same console with an AX15, NSG370, or NV3550 too.

Keep in mind that the main weakness of the T5 is the size and rigidity of the case. Going to world class bearings will help it go to higher RPMs better but it will not make the T5 stronger than the other readily available alternatives. I'd go with an AX15 unless you can afford an aftermarket front casting. I held one of those in my hands trying to decide to buy it along with the 401 I bought. It was a piece of beauty but cost well over a grand. I couldn't justify it. The seller was in the Lancaster area and he probably still has it for sale if you want to PM me about.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:39 am 
Rogue

Been looking into the AX-15 again, and am almost completely settled on going that direction.... Actually an AX15/R154 Hybrid. This should get me the gear ratios I want. That was the only real hitch that was steering me toward the T-5 was the possibility of a close ratio gearset.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:39 am 
Site Admin

I take it taking the guts from a supra, and putting them in a jeep case?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next