It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:49 am 
Pacer

So the ground post is the neutral safety switch? I thought the base where it bolts to the inner fender was...

I'll try cleaning it all up again, and see what happens. would di-electric compound help in this case?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:13 pm 
Hornet

having a car that will start in gear is BAD JUJU!!! bad enough our eagles don't have a clutch switch. why would one want to start an auto in gear anyway? not good on drive train parts.

as for the solenoid grounding, if you have good ground from battery to body, and motor, you will be fine. main battery cable goes to block. there should be a ground strap from block to body. I like to run another ground strap from battery to the body also. the automatic solenoid grounds thru the 3rd small stud pointing down. the nss in the transmission grounds that wire when its in P or N. the manual trans solenoid grounds thru the mounting bolts. you don't want to jump the 2 big terminals on a solenoid. that's a LOT of amperage going thru what ever your using to jump. you just need to run a ground wire to that 3rd stud, and then jump from bat power to the s terminal on solenoid. measure your voltages while doing this. if your voltage drops down alot, your starter is bad, or possibly bad ground. I check voltage from engine block to the starter side of the solenoid. just because its a reman'd starter, don't mean its any good.

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:04 pm 
Javelin

Whuntmore wrote:
So the ground post is the neutral safety switch? I thought the base where it bolts to the inner fender was...

I'll try cleaning it all up again, and see what happens. would di-electric compound help in this case?

On a stickshift, there is no bottom post and the two screws at the bottom provide the ground for the coil. These have the worst grounding issues, but they are easily resolved by drilling a hole at the base and bolting a ground wire there.

On an automatic, the ground goes through the NSS on the trans and then back to a plug on a peg on the bottom of the solenoid. The mounting plate is not providing the ground.

I think it's ridiculous to think that you'll start the car in drive and hit a car parked in front of you. I've never done it with stickshift or my modified automatics, never will. There is no wear on the car's transmission. It is a life-saver when you stall in the middle of a turn. All my automatics will have manual solenoids.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:49 pm 
Hornet

I have never had a problem with grounding issues.

make sure nobody else jumps in your car and hits the key.

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:08 pm 
Javelin

He's right about the stalling, the manual solenoid has saved me from multiple potential accidents when my Eagle has stalled out, usually going through an intersection or around a corner. It's been a godsend the past year.

I don't let anyone else drive my car ever though, and the key is always on me.

-TF998 Auto/NP129
-Carter BBD Carb
-MSD Streetfire Ignition/TFI
-Aluminum CJ Radiator
-205/75/R15 General Grabber A/T Tires

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:59 am 
Javelin

I do let others drive my Eagles. If someone gets in my car and turns the key, it will start and stay still. It's in Park.

While we're trying to make this world a safer place, should we propose that all stickshift cars get outlawed because of the dangerous epidemic of people starting the cars in gear? If we can not be trusted to put an automatic into Park we surely are not competent enough to operate a stickshift Eagle. I guess I better just stay home and not drive my Eagles anywhere. You can never be too safe....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:49 pm 
Eagle

casper wrote:
having a car that will start in gear is BAD JUJU!!!

It's even worse if the car has auto start. :shock: start the car up in the morning, when it's running at fifteen hundred rpm on a warm up cycle, it will be through the wall or garage door faster than you know it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:40 pm 
Javelin

1985amceagle wrote:
casper wrote:
having a car that will start in gear is BAD JUJU!!!

It's even worse if the car has auto start. :shock: start the car up in the morning, when it's running at fifteen hundred rpm on a warm up cycle, it will be through the wall or garage door faster than you know it.

Does no one use their parking brake?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:37 pm 
Pacer

Ok, get a better ground on the NSS, and see how that goes. thanks for the info guys.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:26 am 
Hornet

captspillane wrote:
I do let others drive my Eagles. If someone gets in my car and turns the key, it will start and stay still. It's in Park.

While we're trying to make this world a safer place, should we propose that all stickshift cars get outlawed because of the dangerous epidemic of people starting the cars in gear? If we can not be trusted to put an automatic into Park we surely are not competent enough to operate a stickshift Eagle. I guess I better just stay home and not drive my Eagles anywhere. You can never be too safe....

I can't recall if the Eagles came with the neutral switch on the clutch pedal or not. The XJs did (one of the first things I bypassed). When my kids were little, one put A key in my '66 Nova and started it while I was between it and another car. I was carrying the youngest at the time so I couldn't jump clear and I got caught between them. Luckily my legs weren't broken because the '70 Datsun 510 had soft enough bumpers that gave.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next