It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:54 am 
Pacer

NOTE: I'm posting this here, because I intend to continue fixing up the car this spring/summer, and I spend soo little time on the 'Nest' that I figure I'd better get the project here, so I can continue updating it.

On Sept 30th, 2010 I received an email from a Calgary member (Of the Eagle’s Nest club) saying he was giving away a 1986 American Motors Eagle - If we could remove it from his property asap. The deadline was the next day (Oct 1st) by 4 pm. If not, it was going to the junk yard. That same night, we took a quick trip across town, and Pat and I checked it out. It had very little rust/rot, and only minor problems.

The next day (a Friday) I found out that there was a lien on the car. I called the company and it had already been repossessed and auctioned off, and that the info wasn’t updated. The bondsman told me it was now updated, and the car had a clear title. I got the needed paperwork to move it (temp moving license, Ins.) and she was mine.

Since I don't have a garage, Pat F. family was nice enough to let me bring my car down to their garage, to work on it.

Pat's place is about 35-40 minutes drive down the highway from my place, and I can't get down there every day. (my apt complex doesn't allow this type of work being done in the parking lot).

So, when I can get down there, I work on her.

First, I've taken the dash off, and found a few issues. One being an old noise eliminator that was badly spliced in. That's now in the trash, and the splice fixed.

There's a few other small wiring issues and with the dash off, it gives me the chance to replace all the bulbs I can, and fix any other broken items - My rear defogger button for one. When I took the dash apart, I mostly shot videos so I could record "What, went where."

Since Pat lives a bit aways, and I can't be there whenever I want, I've realized I've got to plan to take some parts home that I can fix. So yesterday as I'm working on the hood latch, I figure I'll take the grill off, and fix that at home.

From what I understand, the grill is made from ABS plastic. I found a website that has some videos and some instructions on how to fix/repair this type of plastic. It does involve some plastic welding, and some resins for the different types of plastics on cars. Like plastic bumpers, and some grilles, fenders for ATV's, etc.

Now, there are a few cracks in it, but besides the tab missing, it's not too serious. So I've started sanding, and I realized I need some more sandpaper! I'll have to get more...

Well, I wanted to see how easy 'plastic welding' was, so I went to Can. Tire, and got the cheapest piece of plastic ABS I could find, and taking my trusty soldering iron...

I started welding the split. it actually went really well. First I clamped the piece with a hemostat, and then started melting holes to bond them together.

Then, once I had melted alot together, and the overlap was really good.

Now that the cracks are glued, and the broken piece is welded, it's all back together. Now my sanding isn't perfect, but it looks pretty good. The strength is there, it's got flex, but it doesn't seem to want to break. I'll see when I bolt it back on.

with it all fixed, and painted satin black

So I've now got the dash off, and brought back a sample of the lights from the dash, and other lights, and I'll have to match them up.

I don't want to ever have to take it apart on account of a burnt out light after all this, so I'm gonna replace every bulb.

Since Pat's gone for the weekend, I couldn't do much. I took apart the driver's side of the headlight bucket (has cracks), and took them home to fix them.

So I've started fixing the headlight bucket, I actually have two of them, but they are both broken in similar spots - Except for one, that I'm gonna transplant. Started with the end broke off...

Then get the plastic melting to it...

All I need to do now, is sand it. Not the best sanding job, but it will work.

Here's the same area with a coat of paint on it:

Doesn't look too bad... Got the hole drilled and now I gotta transplant another tab section, and get that lined up.

It took quite a bit of work and time, but I've totally re-conditioned the headlight buckets.

Since these are parts you just can't buy anymore, this is about all I could come up with...

After much work, and several hours melting, gluing, and sanding, they are done.

So I've ordered some new headlight adjusters (the original ones were totally shot) I painted both buckets, and got the adjusters in.

The finished product!

They are all ready to go back on the car.

That and the grille...

I got the headlight bucket on my car now, and it worked great. I tightened it up, and no re-cracking, so this type of repair works fine.

I also ordered in some parts from Riverbend Auto Parts (Now closed...)

And I got two windshield washer motors so they will be new.

I also bought two new rear shocks for her.

They're those monroe sensi-track with coil-over.

Pat and I rebuilt the back brakes with as many new parts as we could.

That includes, all new kit, E-cables, shoes, cylinders. We got it all together and back on.

I even painted the drums...

Master cylinder was also replaced, as well as the calipers on front.

Since my proportioning valve was acting up (sending all the pressure to the back brakes) I found a really low kms valve at the Kelowna Pick n' Pull in Jan of 2012.

Got that on with no issues.

The next thing Pat and I did, was take out the broken windshield, and clean up the rust. We Sandblasted it off really well, put in new spot putty, and then painted it.

Unfortunately, I had never heard of POR-15, so, we used the only thing we had - Tremclad rust paint.

Here's a shot of Pat scraping off all the old black rubber (whatever that stuff is) from under the old window.

This took quite a bit of time actually...

A little bit of primer and some last minute scrapping...

Then the paint went on... doesn't look too bad for Tremclad, does it?

Got the clips on for the trip. I didn't know they had to come out so the window could go in.

That's a novice like me for ya!

New Windshield in... Finally!

Next thing that I did, was finally ditch that old carter, and put on something that is much better on fuel. It's a motorcraft 2150 carb.

Dean ordered them from a guy on the 'Eagle's Nest' that has these carbs with linkage kits, and new machined adaptor plates to fit on the manifold.

The thing actually does run much better, and uses less fuel.

The next thing was to upgrade the HEI. This Ford Hei is pretty much a direct swap in.

Also, I bypassed one of the wires to the coil, and now I have a 12 volt, 42,000 coil running.

I've had to re-gap the plugs to .045, and with 42K bursting outta the coil (and new rotor button and cap),

I get a lot hotter spark now!

Another thing that needed to be done, is called 'Nutter bypass'.

On my eagle, it's the orange and purple wire. This removes the ECM from having anything to do with the motor anymore. It's pretty much mechanical now.

The dash is all back together now, and everything works, except the wiper switch...

The ground wire had broken off, so I drilled a tiny hole, used a tiny self-tapping screw (from an old camcorder) and then solder a tiny bit of solder onto a bigger wire...

You didn't think I was gonna keep going with that 'tiny' crap, did you?

Well, just as I think I'm cruzing in style now (ok a tiny bit of style?) I figured out that my Gas Tank was leaking. OK, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out, but I did know something was up.

I ordered a brand new tank, and painted it up with POR-15 (I have some now... he he he, No more Tremclad for me!)

I also had to order the straps, and I also painted those up as well. I ain't gonna be replacing this tank again!

Then or course there was no hanger bolts. I actually looked everywhere for these. Most places don't sell them.

After much research (and cross-referencing), I found out that the '93 cherokee hanger bolts were the same thing but a tiny bit shorter (as seen in the picture.)

Now since I would have had to drive to Red Deer to get the longer (and probably the same length) hangers from a '93 Grand Cherokee, I chose these.

I would recommend that you find the longer bolts. these work, but it's a real fight to get everything into place.

I also want to say that each hanger bolt costs about $33 each. Yup, that $66 a pair.

Now, that's not the worst of it. Chrysler wanted $10 for each nut. (I'm not kidding either) I told them to keep their nuts, 'cause that's nuts.

I went to Calgary Fasteners, and after I told them my sad tale (boo hoo) they gave me 4 Stainless Steel nuts for free. I got the Nylock ones. they were just 3/8s thread.

Also, while I was re-doing all the hoses, I noticed my 'Roll-over Valve was shot. Another leak.

Since I don't have one, I had to bypass it until I could get a replacement.

They actually sell ones just like this one for a Delorian. Imagine that...

Also pictured is new tires and Rims From, "Crazy Dean's Discount Parts Emporium"

Summer tires left above pic, winter tires are the right pic.

Well, my muffler starting being naughty, and rotted off the hanger.

Well, I fixed him right out...

Fashioned a plate, cleaned up the old hanger, and welded it up.

Ok, it's not beautiful, and it's a bit messy, but it works, and sounds alot better.

This is how the car looks today. I still have alot more things to do. I'll update when I can.

Last edited by Whuntmore on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:03 am 
Eagle

Great write up so far. What do you mean by a noise eliminator? That component has be stumped.

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:37 am 
Eagle

I think it is a device to keep the alternator and engine noise from coming through the radio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:51 pm 
Pacer

1985amceagle wrote:
I think it is a device to keep the alternator and engine noise from coming through the radio

exactly. It was a Blaupunkt, and it was something that was kinda common in the 80's that I remember. You could easily buy one in a electronic store, like Radio Shack, or a stereo shop.

Right now, I'm helping a good friend work on his 1958 FC-170. Once we can get it sured up enough to roll it out on it's wheels, we are planning on bringing in my eagle to do some work on it.

I'll update it then.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:38 pm 
Eagle

Thanks.

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:56 pm 
Pacer

Cool write up. I like the windshield part, my metal things that go around it are kind of loose. Might pull the windshield out and redo it all. Or accidentally break it and have Apple Autoglass replace it under insurance for $100 ;D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:08 pm 
Pacer

Hey Whuntmore, didn't you have another wagon you were fixing up too? Tree fell on it & messed up the side pretty bad? Just wondered how that one was going.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:11 pm 
Pacer

Pat wrote:
Hey Whuntmore, didn't you have another wagon you were fixing up too? Tree fell on it & messed up the side pretty bad? Just wondered how that one was going.

Nope, that was someone else (I remember that post). I've only had the one Eagle.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:41 pm 
Eagle

Didn't you have an eagle wagon that was t boned also? I think I remember seeing one on youtube.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:36 am 
Pacer

One I think I'm remembering was a brown one. Got caught like the rear edge of the back door? Y'all did a group shot (about 5 of y'all) driving around & that was one of them. Dang this gettin' old ain't no fun. I'm sure (I think) it was a bunch of our Northern neighbors, eh? Wrong color for Pepper. Only 2 wagons I know up there. I'm sure there's more, that's the only 2 I know.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next