It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: From Parts to Jeep
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: From Parts to Jeep
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

You've seen the finished product, many saw its rebuild, but for those that missed it on the old forum, here's what it was when I obtained it. I say obtained because it was given to me by a friend. The jeep was scheduled for the scrapyard, literally, was in the process of being filled with scrap metal when my friend called me up, to see if I wanted anything from it before it went. Short bit later it was in my driveway awaiting a rebuild.

Chapter I, the arrival/evaluation:

July 2, 2011, my ole rusty 97ish cherokee dragged home its replacement.

Even though the jeep is an 88, is was built mid year 87, so technically it's still an amc chero :mrgreen:

Was flopped at one point, kinda straightened out, but doors wouldn't exactly close on the driver side, engine was pulled for a clean up, and my buddy lost interest in it, parted much of it out, and that's what was left, lol.

This was a quicky it took roughly 5 months to bring it back to daily driver status. Started with gutting everything out of the interior, it was rodent infested, so everything came out to be either cleaned or thrown out.

Needed a little patch work in the floor.

Underhood mess had to go, I didn't take it apart so I had no clue what anything was :o: .

Now the real work could begin, time to straighten, strip, paint, rewire, install engine, axles, suspension, recovery points, and interior before winter.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

Chapter 2: Body Correction and Modification

The roof and quarter panel were the main concern here, the passenger side front took a hard it, and was pushed back about 2 inches or so, no big deal.

After a bit of jacking, and hammering the doors finally closed, and the drip molding fit back on. Not perfect, but good enough for a daily driver trail rig. Onto the quarter, I forgot to take a good pic of it before putting the porto power to it, so here's a little in progress pic.

While I was there, mind as well do some trimming.

Relief cut, folded and welded.

Back to dents! Or was that a game of Croquet?

I don't have a proper system, so I weld a bunch of electrical staples to the quarter, barrowed a slide hammer and went to town, lol. Ground off, didn't look too terrible.

While I was at the quarters, the fenders needed some trimming and stretching.

The front part of the opening is where I did the stretch, I wanted to keep this jeep a little lower to the ground, but needed enough room for my tires to tuck and turn at full stuff.

For comparison:

Basically if you traced a line where the flare was, I cut and reformed the fender lip there, and blended it back to the factory lip after the arch.

More to come later tonight...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:33 pm 
Eagle

I remember this build. Love it. You did a really great job!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Rafe!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:45 pm 
Eagle

that jeep did turn out well. if I remember right it has a quadrajet on it. how is the 242 performance wise?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

Yup it has the q jet, performance wise, great, I still have minor things to iron out, but it has all the power that jeep needs plus some. My gf is actually using it as her daily commuter at the present time, lol.

**ok so no more real info tonight, but maybe tomarrow, it's far to late, and I've too many
:cheers: brews to make an intelligent post beyond here. To be continued**

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

Chapter 5: Final body and paint

This brings us to the final dis assembly, primer, and paint section. First, strip the rest of the jeep out, as I've mentioned before I hate masking, so the more I remove the less I have to tape. :queer:

All wiring gone, only things left, windshield and steering.

All sanded ready for primer.

The roof portion I half assed fixed. Ready for color. Ah the color, not your typical one, I had roughly 4 quarts of mystery light green metallic laying around that was given to my dad roughly 15 years ago or more. I took the left over paint from my malibu (dark jadestone) and the leftover paint from the sx/4, and combined them all together to get the jeeps color, lol, if I wreck it, I'm screwed.

After doing the jambs and starting to reassemble.

And.....Paint!

After a little wet sand and buff.

Not to bad, better than the malibu, nowhere near the sx.

Next time, Driveline antics :banana: .

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:11 pm 
Eagle

I need to learn to weld! What is recommended for a novice do it yourselfer for a welder for the kind of stuff we encounter?

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:19 pm 
Site Admin

I use a little lincoln 110 it can be used as a gas unit or flux core. It works decent, for hobby welding, I've made a lot of things with that little booger. I'd rather a miller, truth be told, but until I pony up the cash the lincoln does great. Main thing to look for is one with adjustable wire speed and heat settings, pre set "settings" as in the dial "clicks" to the next range, suck, one you can fine tune is key.
*edit*

For instance, you have a heat range form A to J, a welder that "Clicks" between A to B to C etc is not as tunable as one that will glide between A and B and C for the best performance (in other words A & 3/4 of the way to B). Seems minute but makes a big difference between a birdshit weld from being too cold and a weld with holes blown through it from being too hot.