It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:36 pm 
Eagle

Congratulations! Will we get to see a pissed off mj?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:10 pm 
Pacer

1985amceagle wrote:
Congratulations! Will we get to see a pissed off mj?

If I can ever get it home .... bought it today and on the way home with it, it just died. I coasted into a parking lot and started to do what I call the "renix shuffle" where to check all connections and then end with slapping the c101 connector,but that didn't work. I let it sit for about 15 minutes and it fired back up ....... made it another 5 miles down the road and it happened again. I checked the fuel filter and listened for the fuel pump to kick on when the key is on and both checked out. My dad showed up and checked the spark from the coil and nothing. We towed it up to my uncle's place (cause the new king of the shit pile here a.k.a. landlord is on a dick swinging kick) until I can get a replacement coil and at least bring it home

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:21 am 
Hornet

Not the coil! Crank position sensor is the likely culprit. See if it's melted the harness onto the exhaust which seems common when people work on them and don't know what they're doing. They "re-route" the wiring outside the protective sleeve!
Aside from that, take the coil off the ignition box and clean the connector. Swap the relays around (I think fuel pump is the middle one. Mine didn't work unless I got a jumpstart, even though the motor was cranking fine. Sometimes they get hot and disconnect)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:47 am 
Pacer

i already bought and replaced the coil before reading this :facepalm: zoo at least I don't have to worrk about that anymore. I'm going to head to the salvage yard and here in a few and find a renix powered jeep and grab a few extra relays and sensors ....... this truck also seems to idle high (2k), but it progressivly gets higher so i have to look at that

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:02 am 
Hornet

I lay odds that's a C101 connector issue or the IAC is sticky and needs cleaning/replacing. (I need to do mine again. Once a year for 10 years)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:56 pm 
Pacer

Congrats Bill!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:52 am 
Pacer

carnuck wrote:
I lay odds that's a C101 connector issue or the IAC is sticky and needs cleaning/replacing. (I need to do mine again. Once a year for 10 years)

we're fighting the top most bot on the crank positioning sensor cause it was spliced back together at one point and I just don't trust it ...... I'll have to clean the c101 connector after we get everything back together and before the long test drive (to see if it lets me standing on the side of the road again)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:23 am 
Hornet

Lube the bolts when you put them back in!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:33 am 
Pacer

it looks like the crank position sensor was the cause of my problems ...... got that replaced yesterday and took it for a nice long test drive and all went good except it is still idling a bit higher than I'd like and we got some squeals, but I can live with those for a few weeks until the next round of money frees up to throw at it

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:15 am 
Hornet

Next step, get a can of throttle body cleaner and a base gasket for your throttle body. Or if you have some cleaner now, spray into the idle air port on the top of the throttle body and around the plate and let it soak a few minutes before starting. There are LOTS of nearly free things you can do in the way of tuning it up.
I discovered the best way to eliminate ping was to switch to NGK BKR6EK plugs (#2288 I think) It also gets me 17 mpg with 33" tires. I bought a roll bar for mine yesterday and pick it up today. That's going to bump the price up for mine to $3700. :cheers:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next