It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Am i crazy for thinking of building something like this?
yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
no 86%  86%  [ 6 ]
have to drink more beer, maybe it will look cool then 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7
 Post subject: xj as a military jeep?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:28 pm 
Eagle

ive now got an urge to paint an xj up as a military jeep. looking at a Comanche that was painted up as a zombie hunter, I think an xj would fit the theme fairly well.

I wouldn't want to create a zombie hunter, just a jeep that looks like an retired military vehicle, badging wise Im thinking of using vynl for the emblems, to create a am general Cherokee. already found the basis for the am general nameplate too.'

any other ideas that you all would have, share them. I don't have an xj right now, but If I stumble upon a cheap one, I will have to create this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:38 pm 
Pacer

Dude, especially if you could find a two door, I think it'd look sweet! Done up in a kind of "this was a General's vehicle" style, maybe? :cheers:

A buggy in the shop isn't as hard core as a stocker in the bush

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:47 pm 
Eagle

I remember Chevy Blazers done up for military use.

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

:blazin: tastefully done it would look sweet. I wish I had pics of my first kee, mild lift, narrow tall tires, no frills satin paint, eagle steel wheels, had a very militant vibe to it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:17 pm 
Pacer

nothing looks bad in olive drab :mrgreen: ........ I sprayed a chev k10 a little bit ago and used some paint I found on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Gal-Ready-2-Spray-Army-Olive-Drab-Satin-Green-Auto-Paint-/140955591265?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20d19ba261

that paint is a true "ready to spray" so with some shaking and stirring you just dump it through a strainer adn into your gun and just start spraying. The only issue i had with it was the VERY fast dry time (like 2 hours dry to touch at under 70 degrees). I never dried in the gun but shit like that scares the shit out of me since my bad experence with PPG omni primer (had to scrap 2 primer guns due to a very very short pot life)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:54 pm 
Eagle

I can find amc's paint code for olive drab, it just depends if the paint supplier still can get it. I think I found the paint code in an old ditzler paint guide. I want it to look like it came from the factory that way, rubes mat instead of carpet, which I will most likely have to substitute with bed liner spray. I'm not sure what to use for a seat though. ive seen the blazers around before, a cj, and one dodge pickup.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:33 am 
Pacer

1985amceagle wrote:
I can find amc's paint code for olive drab, it just depends if the paint supplier still can get it. I think I found the paint code in an old ditzler paint guide. I want it to look like it came from the factory that way, rubes mat instead of carpet, which I will most likely have to substitute with bed liner spray. I'm not sure what to use for a seat though. ive seen the blazers around before, a cj, and one dodge pickup.

there is no paint code for olive drab because it is not and has never been a factory color ........ an independent contracting company will order the vehicle from the manufacture stripped down with no options and then take the vehicle apart, paint it , and then reassemble the vehicle to fit the contract.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:15 pm 
Eagle

there is no paint chip, but I believe it was listed under corporate colors :?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:34 pm 
Pacer

oh yeah there are paint chips, you can get the color but it really has no code (that I know of) ........ any good paint supplier with a color chip book can mix you up the color. I have the mix ratio that is a little lighter than what I guess is military spec O.D.

and here is the truck I used to compare

I wish i had the mixing codes for that color but at work my job is to prep and spray. That truck was painted gray and was put back together and shipped before my next shift

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:40 am 
Rogue

Actually, there is official color codes for the older OD paint under the FS numbers series, but not for the current NATO green.

The MVPA guys would know, and you might see the info you need over at G503.com, which specializes in restoring old jeeps.

-Hans