It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:10 pm 
Noob

Hello all, I just purchased my first Eagle (a bit of a fixer upper) it has quite a few issues atm but the fist problem I am trying to tackle is when the Emission maint light comes on the car will not start
it will just make a clicking sound. The emission light was coming and going for a while but now it seems to be stuck on for good, the car wont start and I'm not sure how to fix it.

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:28 pm 
Eagle

The emissions maintanece light was used by Amc on the late 258 and renix jeeps to get people to bring their car back to the dealer and replace the oxygen sensor, along with the timer that ran the light. You do not need the timer to keep the vehicle happy, but if you do want to keep it, after it is removed, on the back side is a small white sticker, peel that back and there is a small wire you have to move that rides on the gear. However with what I have experienced, that timer can't keep the vehicle from running. I've noticed on my eagle, an 85 model year, that when you turn the key to start, that a bulb test occurs, and that is one light that lights up. I think you have other issues, besides just the light coming on. It may be the ignition switch or starter solenoid. Since you have an 87 the solenoid may Be on the passenger side inner fender and use a motorcraft starter, or it may be a Mitsubishi type starter and the solenoid will be part of the starter motor. I would check that you are getting power to the starter solenoid, the signal wire, and power to the starter motor. The signal wire you want to test with a test light with a incandescent bulb instead of a multimeter as you need enough voltage to energize the solenoid. You may be able to see 12v on a meter, but there won't be enough power to light a test light, the multimeter would send you barking up the wrong tree. Hopefully I may have helped you some, if you need more help, feel free to ask, a video would help to see what the symptom is doing and may help us more to understand what is going on.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:32 pm 
Noob

First off thank you for commenting on my post. I really don't have to much experience working on cars and was hoping to use this project as a learning experience... I Guess my first question is where would I find the oxygen sensor and or timer?, any type of visual representation would be really helpful if possible.

Making a video is a real good idea, I will try to put something up asap

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:42 pm 
Eagle

Never found where the timer would be located on an eagle. The oxygen sensor is located on or near the exhaust manifold. From how you describe your problem, the oxygen sensor is not your problem. I would try to find why it does not crank over first, And hopefully running again at the same time.