It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kansas SX4
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:36 am 
Rogue

Good to hear you got it working!

One thing to note is if you replace the pump and the lines going to the pump are dry, it really helps to prime the pump. Suck the gas up the line to the pump manually, and pour a little gas in the outlet for the pump. I had the issue where I still had enough gas in the carb bowl to start my car, but once that ran dry, the car died. Pump didn't want to suck the gas up with all the air in the lines/pump.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:52 pm 
Metropolitan

I took the fender flares off today, and I finally found the rust unfortunately. So I have to get some rust inhibiting paint, and a bad eagle to cut some patch panels from.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:22 pm 
Pacer

zachlikebeer wrote:
I took the fender flares off today, and I finally found the rust unfortunately. So I have to get some rust inhibiting paint, and a bad eagle to cut some patch panels from.

I got 1 sitting here let's see what we can scrounge out of it for the 2 of ours..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:06 pm 
Metropolitan

Your poor sx4 is going to look like swiss cheese after we cut all the patch panels from it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:16 pm 
Pacer

zachlikebeer wrote:
Your poor sx4 is going to look like swiss cheese after we cut all the patch panels from it.

That's the plan.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:39 pm 
Metropolitan

I was working on the eagle today tuning the carb. I got it running so good it doesn't want to turn off now. I had to disconnect the battery, it still stayed running, I had to turn everything on full blast(lights, fans, wipers,etc) and turning the key from accessory to run for it to stop. I started it again, it did the same thing. So I guess it is time get and new lock cylinder? Or starter solenoid? Or something else? Any ideas? If it is the lock cylinder it would give an excuse to swap out the ugly dirty steering wheel, I am thinking of a wooden grant would be nice. Also I had to order a special lug socket, because it has some large import style lugs on it. I jammed one out and took up to the wheel shop. They didn't have anything close to fit it. So I had to buy one from eBay, and hope it is the right one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:48 pm 
Hornet

try unplugging the field connector on the alt. If that cures it, the regulator is jammed or the wiring was modified (MSD box installed without the diode maybe? HEI wired to feedback loop?)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:11 am 
Metropolitan

I don't think it is miss wired, because this is just happening for the first time after about 50 starts. I will check the alt when I get a chance.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:56 pm 
Hornet

I second on the alt plug!!! its that rectangular plug that's on the side of the alternator. shut the key off, and if its still running, unplug it. it should die if its the alt. if its not that, did you mess with anything else? the lock cylinder doesn't have anything to do with the ignition switch. the switch is actually down towards the bottom of the steering column. the lock cylinder slides a rod back and forth.

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:54 pm 
Hornet

I don't recommend pulling the coil wire off, unless you desire to feel almost like being tased. car running, pull the coil wire off, it will shock the PISS out of you if it gets close enough. the 258's aren't known for "dieseling" as its called. to low of compression ect. theres a lot of stuff involved to make one do it. you have electrical power feeding back and keeping the ignition system charged.

but, if you got balls to, be my guessed and pull the coil wire off. and pull it at the boot right on the edge where it mounts to the dizzy or the coil!!!! IF YOU DO, I WANT TO SEE PICS OF YOUR PANTS!!! (well, atleast the knot on your head from smacking it on the hood!!!)

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next