It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:22 pm 
Javelin

I am looking to replace my headliner as well. Is there any place that sells the backing on the headliner the piece that goes under the fabric? Mine is needing replaced were the rear hatch leaked an it is tore in places.

1985 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L engine 4WD
2000 Mercedes Benz CLK430 Convertible V8
2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Spyder 5 speed

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:17 am 
Rebel

Location: Englishtown, NJ - Home of the Englishtown Swap Meet
My headliner doesn't need to be replaced, just recolored and glued back up. It is tear and rip free and original so I don't want to replace it if I can help it. I'll check the Pedia about the headliner.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:24 am 
Rogue

eaglejoe93 wrote:
My headliner doesn't need to be replaced, just recolored and glued back up. It is tear and rip free and original so I don't want to replace it if I can help it. I'll check the Pedia about the headliner.

If you try to remove the fabric from the backing board, you will destroy the fabric. There is no way to separate it without damaging the foam, and it gluing it back up probably won't last.

kalve wrote:
I am looking to replace my headliner as well. Is there any place that sells the backing on the headliner the piece that goes under the fabric? Mine is needing replaced were the rear hatch leaked an it is tore in places.

You can repair the headliner backing board using thick paper, like from manila envelopes or something similar. Or you could use fiberglass if the damage is more severe.

http://amceaglesden.com/guide/index.php ... eplacement

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:07 am 
Javelin

I am wanting to replace the whole thing the thing the material an the piece the material goes to were I had a hatch hinge let water come in on it. When I got the car the hatch hinge was twisted an the whole hatch was dropped down some letting water come in on the headliner material an the board under it

1985 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L engine 4WD
2000 Mercedes Benz CLK430 Convertible V8
2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Spyder 5 speed

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:09 am 
Rebel

It seems like the only thing holding it up is the interior trim and the dome light. Otherwise it is completely separated from the headliner board. That's why I think that I could possibly save it.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:12 pm 
Metropolitan

Most fabric stores carry headliner material. Its a material with a foam backing. Comes in different colors. You have to remove your headliner backing board from the car remove the old material and foam. A wire wheel works good to remove old foam and glue. Spray backing board with spray adhesive stick on new material and trim. then reinstall headliner into car. I have done this on several projects.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:46 am 
Rebel

So as an update yesterday my Dad and I worked on knocking some things off the to do list. We got the replacement hinge with new pin and bushings installed, and we figured while we were working on the door that we would pull the door panel off to see why my manual mirrors aren't working. When we got the mirror off we sprayed the cable with PB Blaster and oil and let it sit for a while. We haven't put it back on yet but the mirror seems to be moving a lot better now.

While we were working on that I figured now would be an ideal time to see if I could replace the speaker. Took it out to see that it is completely disintegrated. I have some vintage Sony speakers that will work but they won't clear the crank. So I am in the market for a good set of aftermarkets that I can install behind the original grills. I'll be installing the Sony's in the back since they work, will fit, and they have metal grills built in so I can preserve the original rear speaker grills.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:57 am 
Hornet

"kicker" 5 1/4" speakers work GREAT! sound good for tiny speakers too.

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:07 pm 
Rebel

So I managed to get one of the new aftermarket speakers I bought installed, an MTX Terminator, in the drivers door. Even with having that one speaker installed, one missing, and the other two the crummy originals, the sound quality sounds SO much better. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like with all four of them installed!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:42 pm 
Rebel

Here is a bit of an overdue update on my Eagle, which I'm pretty sure I'll be naming Rosalind. I got the wheels and other things from a wagon JerseyEagleGuy was parting out and I got some touch up paint in the Olympic White color as well as a spray can of the Moca Brown color on the flares. I will be leaving for school at the end of august and I have a few things I'd really like to have done before hand. Those are putting the wheels on my car with my tires, fixing the sagging headliner (and install the Grand Cherokee overhead console while I have the board out), fully upgrade my audio system (anything special I should know for removing the DIN style radio?), give it a few really good coats of wax and rubbing as much Leatherique conditioner as I can into my seats. I haven't been able to do too much since I was in a show in July. The muffler sprouted a rust hole or two in the past few days and I've ordered the parts to replace it so it doesn't sound like a rice burner. If I can manage it I plan on writing up a how to relating to emblems which I hope will be found useful.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next