It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:45 pm 
Javelin

That would be cool with the overhead counsel. Take a picture of that when its done I would like to see how it turns out!

http://s12.photobucket.com/user/amchornet/profile/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:04 pm 
Rebel

Location: Englishtown, NJ - Home of the Englishtown Swap Meet
Here's a current update for my Eagle, which I have decided to name Rosalind.

One night I was driving home after helping out an an event at my church and when I was about half a mile away from home I heard a loud thud from under the car. My first thought was that one of my tires blew out. When I got out to see what happened, I saw a metal part in the road a few feet behind where I pulled over. I look at it and it is covered in fresh grease, so I know it came from me. I checked the rear axle to see if it came from there, but it looked fine. Came to the front and when I got to the drivers side wheel, I found the entire wheel well covered in grease and the CV joint somehow managed to loose 5 grade eight bolts and sheer the head off one. It was probably replaced by someone before me that didn't tighten the bolts very well. I called my dad and he was able to drive the car home at 15 miles an hour with the emergency flashers on with me following behind. In a way this was a blessing in disguise since we found that the passenger side CV joint formed a large rip in the boot and needed to be replaced as well and that this happened when I was close to home and before I am to go away to college this Friday. Rosalind now has some brand new (not re-manufactured) front CV Joints. :)

I have also been prepping her for when I leave for school. The past few days I have been repainting the steel wheels in a gloss white so I don't have to bring the original wire spoke wheel covers with the risk of loosing one or someone walking off with them. The white on the wheels is a true white while the car is more of an off white, so they don't match as well as I would have liked, but I think they give her a 60's stock car look which I think is pretty cool along with the new chrome AMC lug nuts I bought recently on ebay. Either way, the painted steels are a temporary thing while I prepare the Jeep alloys I got for her the way I want them and done right. Also, does anyone know where I could get some center caps, wheel spinners, or whatever they are called that aren't too expensive?

Other things I hope to get done are the headliner, the Jeep overhead console if possible, align the headlights, vacuum the interior, and give her a nice wash and a good coat of wax.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:32 pm 
Rebel

Hi everyone, sorry it has been so long. Going to a University of this level is very time consuming. ::)

Since I have been so busy with school, not much has been done on Rosalind, hence why I have not been very active on the den. Over winter break some little things were done like aligning the headlights and replacing the side marker light bulbs. Though recently a problem has risen. I went to go start her up, and...she wouldn't. It appeared that the battery was just about dead. This was puzzling since the battery is less than a year old. Since I have been very much involved with school and school-related activities, my dad looked up possible issues and has since concluded that it is the alternator, which would explain the issues we have been having with the charging system and could have caused a drain. So a new alternator has been ordered and my dad will come up and help me install it on Sunday, and thanks to my RA and his Audi, I got a jump today and went for a half-hour drive to build up a charge so she is drivable for the time being until the new part comes.

Here is a new picture I took of her after one of the big snowstorms that have hit NJ.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:08 pm 
Rebel

So if you rode around and build up a charge, seems the alternator is working good. When you got back did you restart it? Most batteries that are dormant for a year need a little above and beyond charging, especially in extremes: hot/cold.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:13 pm 
Rebel

It was charging, but not at the rate it should be. It was charging about 2-4 volts under what it should be. She wasn't driven for about two weeks or so before I tried starting to find the battery weak (was very busy with school). All in all I don't think the battery is the issue.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:19 am 
Rebel

So over spring break me and my dad installed a new reman alternator. She starts much better now, but the battery is being charged even when it is fully charged and is charging at a seemingly high rate. If I recall correctly, this is a GM alternator. My Uncle who has had a lot of GM vehicles over the years says this is a common thing with GM alternators. It also seems that the voltage gauge in my cluster isn't working properly.

I also recently got some headlight shields and installed them two days ago. I think they look nice and add to the classiness. 8-) When I get the chance I'll add a picture. While installing them I noticed that some of the headlight hardware is in really bad shape. Is that universal stuff I can get anywhere or is there a particular place I can get them? I also ordered some new headlight adjusters since some of them need to be replaced.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:35 pm 
Hornet

Have you checked with a hand held meter at the battery and at the alt output? There should be less than a 1/2 volt difference between them. 14.6 is normal because 12.6 wouldn't refill the battery fast enough.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:06 pm 
Rebel

I believe so, and it was somewhere in the 15 range.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:47 am 
Hornet

If 15 or above at the battery, what's it read after shutting off? 12.6 is a full battery. Over 13 could mean a cell has broken inside and turned into 2 cells. It's a short trip to dead batteryville after that usually.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:49 pm 
Rebel

The battery is less than a year old right now. I don't remember the exact number it was reading when shut off, but it seemed higher than it should be.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next